- BLETCHLEY PARK Part 9 -

A Walk Around Bletchley Park (1)

LINKS to other pages in the Bletchley Park site and to the Colin Day Travelling Days series:

HOME PAGE : BLETCHLEY PARK
1 : Bletchley Park Estate to 1939
2 : Enigma and GC&CS.
3 : The Poles and Enigma
4 : Turing and the Bombes
5 : The Huts: An overview
6 : German Naval Codes
7 : Huts 3,4,6 and 8
8 : Blocks A,B,C,D,E and F
9 : Views of the Estate (1)
10 : Views of the Estate (2)
11 : Lorenz and Colossus
12 : Finale, Links, Bibliography
Bletchley Park Guest Book:
HOME PAGE : LIST-O-LINKS INDEX

Bletchleyext21a.jpg - 54355 Bytes



THE LAKE looking towards Blocks A and B.

Bletchleyext19a.jpg - 71052 Bytes



THE FRONT of the Mansion; the steps lead down to the croquet lawn.

Bletchleyext20a.jpg - 51814 Bytes



THE CROQUET lawn - scene of many games of 'rounders'.


Bletchleyext24a.jpg - 47798 Bytes



THE GATEWAY into the stable yard.

Bletchleyext33a.jpg - 54032 Bytes



THE BUILDING to the right of the gateway is part of what was the apple, pear and plum store on Herbert Leon's estate. It was used in the development of Colossus.

Bletchleyext23a.jpg - 48243 Bytes


ON THE NORTH side of the stable yard are three attached cottages. Bletchley Park staff were accommodated in these buildings throughout the war. The head groom originally occupied the one on the far left. The granary, converted to a flat, is the protruding building in the centre of the picture.
On the right, the 'tack room' was later used as an office and residence. It was to "The Cottage" that Gordon Welchman was sent after his arrival at Bletchley Park on 4 September 1939, and it was here that he met Dilwyn Knox, a former graduate in Greek literature from Kings College, Cambridge. Knox had joined the naval intelligence department, I.D.5, in WW1 and had stayed on in the service (later known as GCCS) in the inter-war years. 'Dilly' Knox did much of the work on 'Tunny' here. He was in poor health, and died on 27 February 1943 before he was able to see the full result of his labours.

Bletchleycar25a.jpg - 54774 Bytes


A SMALL motor museum is situated in the garage block close to the gateway into the stable yard. A pre-war Austin Seven that was used in the late 1990's film, 'Enigma'.

buttongo.jpg - 7212 Bytes
buttonnext.jpg - 5586 Bytes