School1.gif - 269 Bytes
 
Tempsfordtitle.jpg - 56696 Bytes


'BEDFORD AND DISTRICT': this website forms part of the 'Travelling Days' series and contains recent and past pictures of Bedford in England. Various places outside the borough up to a distance of fifteen miles from it also form a substatial part of the site. To return to the home page please click on the link in the black menu bar at the top of the page.

TEMPSFORD lies about eight miles to the east of Bedford and close to the A1 highway from London to the North. Samuel Lewis in 1831 wrote this description of the village in his Topographical Dictionary of England:

'Tempsford: a parish in the hundred of Biggleswade, county of Bedford, 6½ miles (N.N.W.) from Biggleswade, containing 577 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the kings's books at £24, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.

The village is situated on the River Ivel, which is navigable through the parish, and falls into the Ouse as it passes along the western boundary. This is a place of great antiquity; it was occupied by the Danes before 921, when they were expelled by the Saxons, but they returned in 1010, and reduced it to ashes.'

And a more modern description:
    'Robert De Carun, in the year 1129, gave the church to the Prior and Convent of St. Neots, on account of his grandson Anselm taking the monastic habit there. The Danes visited Tempsford in 1010, it then being a walled town; and it is surmised that the first church was destroyed at that time. Near the rectory is an ancient earthwork, called the "Gannocks," believed to be of Roman origin; the moat around is still perfect, and there is a subterranean passage from it to the hall of the rectory.

'Tempsford Hall, the property of Major Wm. Dugald Stuart J.P. has been rebuilt, and is a mansion of red brick and Dumfries stone, but some portion of the original building still exists : it stands in the midst of spacious grounds about 100 acres in extent, and is surrounded by many noble trees.'

Tempsford1a.jpg - 59625 Bytes





THE VILLAGE is split by the Great North Road highway (A1). Church End on the western side of the A1 contains a number of attractive buildings .......

Tempsford2.jpg - 51874 Bytes





.... and a well appointed public house, 'The Wheatsheaf'.

Tempsford4.jpg - 58620 Bytes



About two miles to the south-east of Tempsford lies the village of Everton. The village is also a mile and a half north east of Sandy and a mile north west of Potton. It lies on the highest point of the famous Greensand Ridge with views to the Royston Downs in the east and, to the west, over the Ivel Valley. At about two hundred feet above sea level it boasts the highest pub in Bedfordshire! The three pictures here (to the right and below) are of the Everton Village Church.

Tempsford5.jpg - 61033 Bytes
Tempsford7.jpg - 70184 Bytes
buttongo.jpg - 10038 Bytes
buttonnext.jpg - 9342 Bytes

Colin Day's List O' Links (Full Index)      America West      Kimberley Australia     

Bletchley Park      London Eye      Bedford in the 1940s      Guest Book