School1.gif - 269 Bytes School2.gif - 318 Bytes School4.gif - 317 Bytes School3.gif - 281 Bytes School4a.gif - 313 Bytes School5.gif - 315 Bytes School6.gif - 302 Bytes School7.gif - 309 Bytes
 
Bedfordschool4.jpg - 56479 Bytes



IN 1906 PLANS for a school chapel submitted by the London architect, G.F. Bodley, were discussed at a meeting which included the then headmaster, John King.
The foundation stone was laid on 18 May 1907 and on 11 July 1908 the chapel was dedicated by the Bishop of Ely. (Bedford was transferred from the Ely diocese to the St Albans diocese in March 1914.)

Choir.jpg - 54685 Bytes


THE SCHOOL CHOIR in 1947. The school's music director at that time was Dr William Probert Jones who held that postion from 1937 until 1957. He was succeeded by Ted Amos who retired in1979. More details are to be found in the 'Bedford in the 1940s' website. (Please click here.)

Bedfordschool36a.jpg - 52137 Bytes



A BATTLE between the Old Bedfordians’ Club and the architect over the east window resulted in a win for the club; instead of a simple window, a stained glass window, commemorating OBs who had lost their lives in the Boer War, and a fine triptych reredos took their places at the east end of the chapel.

Bedfordschool8.jpg - 60177 Bytes




CHAIR SEATING in the original chapel was replaced by carved pews in he late 1920s. At about the same time the original chandeliers were replaced by wrought iron pendants made by the boys of the school in the school workshops. (The pendants were removed in 1998 in favour of a new lighting system but the original fasteners are still visible on the cross beams.)

Bedfordschool2.jpg - 56611 Bytes




THE TRYPTYCH REREDOS at the east end of the chapel.

buttongo.jpg - 10038 Bytes
buttonnext.jpg - 9342 Bytes

Colin Day's List O' Links (Full Index)      America West      Kimberley Australia     

Bletchley Park      London Eye      Bedford in the 1940s      Guest Book