School1.gif - 269 Bytes School2.gif - 318 Bytes School4.gif - 317 Bytes School3.gif - 281 Bytes School4a.gif - 313 Bytes School5.gif - 315 Bytes School6.gif - 302 Bytes School7.gif - 309 Bytes
Bedfordschool16.jpg - 66454 Bytes

THE NEW 'GREAT HALL' following the reconstruction of the main building after the fire of 1979.

Bedfordgreathall.jpg - 75599 Bytes

THE GREAT HALL prior to the fire of 1979. The three state chairs seen on the stage were introduced in 1929. In 1934 oak panelling at the ground floor level was made to cover the original brickwork.

It was from this hall that the BBC orchestras made many broadcasts during the years of WWII and a more detailed description is given in the pages of 'Bedford in the 1940s', an associated 'Travelling Days' website. (Please click here to view the site.) GroseHodge2.jpg - 55274 Bytes

The original ground floor is now enclosed to form offices and classrooms. The ground floor of the new building has been constructed at the level of the old lower gallery.

HUMFREY GROSE-HODGE (right) photographed while sitting in one of the state chairs mentioned above. The chairs were destroyed in the 1979 fire as were the oak chairs with rush seats that filled the main body of the hall. More information about the life of Humfrey Grose-Hodge may be found by clicking here.

Bedfordschool12.jpg - 62649 Bytes

THE GREAT HALL is used for many school music events as well as for school assemblies. A temporary stage has been erected to accommodate the house singing competitions.

The console of the recently renovated Copeman Hart digital organ is situated in the alcove behind the stage. The alcove was originally above the entrance to the Great Hall from the northern playing fields.

Bedfordschool19.jpg - 66003 Bytes

Bedfordschool18.jpg - 53017 Bytes

THIS OAK table has stood in the western corridor of the main building for at least 65 years. It was on this table in the 1940s that text-books ordered from and supplied by the town booksellers (F.R. Hockliffe, later taken over by W.H. Smith) were piled at the beginning of each term. The difficulties in finding ones own order were, frankly, enormous. Hopefully a different system is now in place!

Bedfordschool11.jpg - 55815 Bytes

EXTENSIVE PLAYING FIELDS lie to the north of the main building. The Sports Pavilion shown in the photograph was built and extended during the 1920s and 1930s.

buttongo.jpg - 10038 Bytes
buttonnext.jpg - 9342 Bytes

Colin Day's List O' Links (Full Index)      America West      Kimberley Australia     

Bletchley Park      London Eye      Bedford in the 1940s      Guest Book